Monday, May 5, 2008

That Baby


This is a MotherTalk review.

I was recently send a copy of That Baby DVD and CD. I'm not usually one to gush, but doods. Go buy this. It's great.

It features cover songs by people like Paul Simon, Fleetwood Mac, Natalie Merchant and my personal favourite, Bruce Springsteen. This is not insipid children's music. This is intelligent yet fun music that parents and kids will both enjoy.

My major beef with most kid's music is that it's condescending, treating children as though they have no taste and only want to hear the umpteenth rendition of the Itsy Bitsy freakin' Spider. That Baby is definitely not that.

It's good music. It's music I loved in high school and college. And better yet, it's music that my girls adore. They beg to watch the DVD (again and again and again). They love to listen to the CD when we're driving around. And I don't mind listening to it. It does not set my teeth on edge, it doesn not make me want to run screaming for the hills and in fact, I have even been known to listen to it when the girls weren't in the car.

I can put the DVD on when the girls are getting wound up and they calm down. I put the CD on in the car when they're both in full melt-down mode and the stop and they listen and they're quiet, for the entire CD. Obviously there's something there that grabs them and makes them listen and for that, I am eternally grateful.

Given my adoration of all things Springsteen, it made my heart go pitter pat when Boo, my 3-1/2 year old, decided that Pony Boy was her absolute favourite song on the disc. Every day she asks to hear "the giddy-up song, mama!" And I am more than happy to oblige.


Go. Buy. Enjoy. Seriously. It's that good.

No comments: